Friday, September 18, 2009

The Hobbies.

Aight, so I have a few hobbies. Typical things a geek may be interested in. From anime to gaming to comics to model building (which I haven't done any in a long while) figure collecting and other odds and ends of collecting. Lets run down these things I'm into one by one giving a summery of each.

For starters, there's anime. I've been into it since I was 12 when I first watch Akira after renting it from Blockbuster. Needless to say my mind was blown away like a deadite by Ash's boomstick. I watched it 3 times and had no clue what the hell was going on. All I knew was that it was awesome. That if this is what cartoons really have to offer I'm sold. So ever since then I've been a fan of anime and over the years I have amassed what I would think is an impressive DVD collection and other anime merchandise.

But before anime there was my love of video games. I've grown up playing them. My older sisters had an Atari 2600 and that was my introduction to video games. But what I cut my teeth on was the NES. It was the first system I could call my own. I still have that first NES and go back to it every so often. Though the foreplay of blowing into the cartridge is what causes me to walk away again most of the time. I love the nostalgic feel of playing the NES, but if I have to treat it like a woman before sex I rather just snuggle up to the whores of modern systems. So yeah, I've been a gamer since I could remember.

Ah, and now on to comics. If I keep this journal thing going you will likely see me post each Wednesday on and about comics. For those of you that don't know, Wed. is the day new comics are released every week. I haven't always been what I'd call a Wednesday Warrior. Only in the past 3 years or so have I gotten into comics really heavily. Before, I read and collected them in my adolescent years and early teen years. Some where around the age of 16 I basically dropped comics. Not surprising really, geeky I may be, but I am a car guy. What 16 year old wants to stay still when they have a license? Anyways, I got turned onto comics thanks to one of my sister's boyfriends. He just gave me a stack of his old comics. And it was thanks to comics that I learned to read well past my age, much to the surprise of elementary school teachers.

Next, the model building. This stems from just me being a car guy. I think I've always liked cars, they were the toys I played with most as a kid and sometimes I still play with Hot Wheels cars. I'm not sure when I started building model cars, but I do know I built quite a few. The first one's I did don't look that great though. Like a lot of things I've learned how to do, I learned how to build models on my own. And I didn't start with snap-tight kits. Oh no, my stupid kid brain said grab the ones with all that detail. So yeah, as usual for me I learned things the hard way.

And finally, there's all the stuff I collect. From anime figures to diecast cars to random toy cars to for no known reason, Pringles can lids. There's more random stuff, but it's not coming to mind. Either way, I collect stuff, just like anybody else. As George Carlin would say, "Your house is a place to keep all your stuff. And when you run out of room for your stuff it's time to get a bigger house." That's not the exact quote, but it's close enough for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment