Monday, December 14, 2009

Did some recycling.

For some time now I've had 4 left over shelving boards that come with those el cheapo fiberboard book shelves - which you can get for around $25 bucks at most any major retail store - just sitting over in a corner. I knew I'd use them for something, just wasn't sure until today.

I was staring at my comic box shelves and it hit me, the space between them could use a tiny purpose built shelf. So I took my measurements, marked my lines and took the boards out to the shop to get to work. I cut the top and middle shelves to size and painted the inside of the vertical boards black. Once the paint was tacky (screw waiting for it to dry completely, I was trying to get it done as quick as possible) I started the assembly. Every thing went together nicely until the fiberboards started to split in a few places. Of course, after thinking about it now I realize why. One, it's fiberboard and thus is just a horrible building material and then, two, the screws I used were admittedly a bit long. I made the best repairs possible to the split areas with some nails, good thing the splits were in the back.

I had planned to use this little shelf for comic boxes as well, but once the boards split my use of it change. It all works out, I now have a place for the devil girls statue and the Jessica statue since I moved some Wolverine items over to this new little shelf, and I've been needing a small area to put the bags and boards and what not. Looks just right.

No comments:

Post a Comment